We are SO BACK!
Don't worry, I already have my knee socks on.
I feel like I lost a part of me when, out of nowhere, my Arch Linux OS that was installed on an old POS computer nuked itself overnight and completely erased everything. I think it was because I let the laptop fully die, but to this day I don't know exactly why the OS just disappeared. For the months following this, I didn't use the computer nor any form of Linux--largely because I was distracted by a shining new Mac mini.
But I never forgot. I still remembered how frustrating (yet rewarding) it was to install Arch Linux from scratch, in the middle of the night on a weekday. I remembered how surreal it felt to be finally greeted by Konqi on a bright screen saying "Welcome to KDE Plasma!" after many, many attempts. And, I remembered how much fun I had experimenting with Hyprland and making a YouTube video on it.
All I wanted now was to get this OS back, so yesterday I randomly decided that it was time. After all, it has only made me rage about 3 times (that I can actually remember). I installed it rather unfaithfully with archinstall, but I figured I had nothing to prove. It worked, and now I'm back for good, with (I think) no chance of it nuking itself.
I had to choose a lighter desktop environment, because despite how much I wanted to convince myself that this computer could still realistically handle KDE Plasma, I knew it simply could not. For the few hours I did have KDE, the computer was quite slow and crashed frequently. Luckily, Lxqt is still a pretty solid DE despite not being as flashy and aesthetically pleasing as KDE (and, in my case, the experience I remember the most from last year).
Although it took around two hours today to configure my cursor and more hours annoyingly configuring ALL of the settings and tweaks that I honestly don't remember doing on my first install, I wouldn't trade Linux for anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment